[Image description: A picture of several smiling white people lined up in front of a van that says “Save the Storks” and has a picture of a stork on it. The people all have their arms around each other’s necks, and the van is parked underneath a bridge.]
“I hear stories of abortion & I see myself falling to the ground in tears begging for the life of the child, desperately offering to adopt it instead.”
What does this mean, you “see yourself” having this melodramatic reaction to other people’s medical decisions? And if you really feel this way, what does your age, employment status and marital status matter? THERE ARE BABIES’ LIVES ON THE LINE! Didn’t you see the ultrasound?
Storks. Who are the “storks” exactly? “Save the storks” doesn’t even make sense. As usual, the women are completely erased from pregnancy.
Also, does the would-be-adoptive-parent OP not see the irony in “Then I remember I am nineteen. With no job. No husband to help me raise one. Nothing.” as the reason they just can’t adopt maybe being the exact same reason a pregnant woman wants to end their pregnancy?
Here’s what really pisses me off about this (besides, you know, all of it): the OP could be doing so much to help babies and children that are already here if she refocused all the energy expended on worrying about other people’s reproductive decisions. She could make hats/blankets/booties for babies in the NICU at a local hospital. She could volunteer with organizations that help children: I know someone who volunteered to watch children at a domestic violence shelter while the mothers were at job interviews or counseling sessions or taking classes. She could help out at a day program for special needs kids. She could volunteer at a children’s hospital. She could work with a program like Big Brothers/Big Sisters. Hell, if she’s passionate about it she could go to school and make a career out of helping kids! She could study to become a teacher, a social worker, any number of careers in the medical field. But instead, she chooses to use all that time and energy to manipulate people into having children that they didn’t want or weren’t in a position to have. I guess that’s easier than doing something that actually helps living, breathing individuals.
It comes as no surprise to me that:
a) all these folks are white, young, and probably middle to upper middle class anti-choice Christians. And that half are people who (at the very least) read as men. Or: the people who have the least to fear when it comes to reproductive justice because whether they have an abortion or not (or whether a partner has an abortion or not), society is going to support them the most when it comes to an unplanned/unwanted pregnancy.
b) That they say “save the storks”. Apparently pregnant people aren’t even PEOPLE. They’re being basically told that they have no part in their own pregnancies. Because instead it’s about saving a stork who delivers the baby rather than dealing with the reality that babies don’t get delivered by storks. They get delivered by people with uteruses who go through A LOT - physically, emotionally, mentally, economically, socially, etc - when that happens and that forcing someone to go through with it by manipulating them and ripping away all options is not “saving a stork”, it’s harming a human being
c) That the entire basis of this is the devaluation of the actual WORK and difficulty that goes into being pregnant. The devaluation of reproductive work done by people with uteruses (OF ALL GENDERS). Because if we valued that work, if we thought it was important and difficult as a society we wouldn’t force people to do it when they didn’t want to.
d) There is no practical benefit or support offered to those who leave this van. There’s no mention that there’s follow up care or support. No referrals to, say, support organizations or therapists for those who are pregnant as the result of rape or incest, no offers of childcare or even free fucking baby gear. Nope. Just emotional manipulation and a pregnant person is sent on their way, dumped back into their problems except now they’ve been guilted into making a complicated situation even harder. Because their problems (lack of money, resources, support, etc) didn’t go away, but one of their possible options was made that much more inaccessible to them.
Reblogging for the most epic follow-up commentary.
^^^^ All the above.
- dat-cajun-belle reblogged this from dripplet and added:
- dat-cajun-belle likes this
- fbstj likes this
- kogiopsis reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- iwasakisayano reblogged this from xxbbombsooc
- benni-swanson likes this
- xxbbombsooc reblogged this from strangerinsidethetardis
- inmarchidreamedofmud reblogged this from dripplet
- doneobrien likes this
- jpmichaels88 reblogged this from givelovegetlife
- givelovegetlife reblogged this from dibthechristian
- silverseasofsummer likes this
- stellarcasification-archive likes this
- catspoliticsandnerdery reblogged this from courtneyirl
- nicewranglers reblogged this from courtneyirl
- originallostwolf likes this
- racll1867 likes this
- gloriaxmundi reblogged this from carolwiener
- carolwiener reblogged this from ciulia96
- fearless-proud-andstrong likes this
- politicallyconservativeblog likes this
- ciulia96 reblogged this from mrspaulryan
- senatorsfirstlady likes this
- ciulia96 likes this
- vanfullersublime likes this
- 12-gauge-rage likes this
- nogginvoice reblogged this from courtneyirl
- courtneyirl reblogged this from conservacat
- yourshadowisfollowingyou likes this
- courtneyirl likes this
- conservacat reblogged this from dripplet and added:
- conservacat likes this
- saysomethingsnazzy reblogged this from smile-makepeoplewonder
- smile-makepeoplewonder reblogged this from dripplet
- marilynbrown likes this
- thevoxbox reblogged this from ladyloveandjustice
- normalfeet likes this
- axcelle reblogged this from mitsuki-zi
- crevan-grietje likes this
- kirakirakyra reblogged this from mitsuki-zi
- mitsuki-zi reblogged this from everythingyouweretooafraidtoask
- insomniacprince reblogged this from 50shousewifewithaknife
- 50shousewifewithaknife reblogged this from lesbionic-guide-to-the-galaxy
- tirnothy likes this
- zombiesandcarnations reblogged this from erinlooovesyou
- ilysespieces reblogged this from stfuconservatives